ALIS 360: Next Generation Leadership
Based on a new approach of leadership developed by Prof. Dr. Zeynep Aycan, this course provide a roadmap and assists students in developing self-awareness and necessary skills to become next generation leaders.
ALIS 360 focuses on building psychological safety, overcoming fear of failure, creating fun environments at work, sharing leadership, motivating through purpose and meaning, and practicing mindful approach in order to transform the existing culture.
The learning outcomes
of this course can be summarized as:
- Critique the problems and limitations with the current leadership practices and recognize the role of next generation of leaders to transform the existing culture
- Explain why and how to share leadership with team members and apply the gained knowledge to in-class simulations
- Compare different types of fun at workplace and evaluate advantages and disadvantages of each
- Define intrinsic and extrinsic motivation; criticize common use of reward and punishment for motivation, and practice how to motivate self and others through individual purpose and meaning
- Explain the importance of building psychological safety in leading teams to create learning and innovative organizations
- Identify the sources of fear of failure to overcome it and illustrate learning from mistakes
- Reflect on personal strengths and weaknesses as well as external opportunities and threats in leading to create an empowering culture